Thursday 14 January 2016

31.4/5.4 4. Be able to reflect upon own social action or community media production work - Rebecca



When creating my documentary the first thing I had to do was to understand the definition and effects of social action and community media. I did this by conducting research online on examples of organisations that use social action and community media, and what their outcomes and goals are. This allowed me to gain an understanding on what I needed to try and convey within my own documentary – raising awareness. I then did more research online, through reading articles and watching videos to find a local issue that I felt strongly enough to want to make a short documentary on it.

Through my initial research I gained an interest on the topics of child poverty, and youth unemployment. From here I realised that youth unemployment was something that had more facets that I could try and explore, along with being more relatable to my target audience as this topic is specifically about the youth (16-24). I continued doing more specific research on this topic, gaining as much information and facts so that I had an understanding of it, which would mean that when I was creating my documentary I would know what I am talking about and also know what messages I would want to convey.

Next, I began gaining other information; this was through doing questionnaires revolving around my topic. After this it narrowed down the kind of questions I wanted to ask when actually filming my documentary. I now began planning to make the documentary, this included talking about various things including budget, timings, facilities, locations, and health & safety. This step was crucial as it meant that when filming would be far more planned and organised, therefore allowing me to gain the best footage.

Once I was sure on my plan, I began the filming process. I didn’t want my documentary to be too long and overly informative; therefore I conducted three interviews (two students, and one adult [40+]). Within these interviews similar questions were asked, however at times I differed to different questions when felt appropriate. When filming I tried different angles on each interview, so that when I begin editing it broke up the documentary a bit, rather than having the exact same shot (but with different people) throughout.

After I finished filming my interviews that spread over two days, I uploaded my footage to begin the editing process. I knew I wanted to keep it aesthetically simple, and have mainly interviews telling my audience the information and opinions I have gathered. I ended up using only two of my interviews (two students), as with the older adults opinion on the topic, it didn’t really fit with the questions asked. As I dropped one of the interviews, I felt like my documentary was a tad too short, so this gave me the idea to use media from the Internet that related to my topic. I added a couple news clips where youth unemployment was being spoken about – it gave my documentary an even more informative feel which was something I wanted. I also added a soundtrack in the background to create a more of an interesting ambience when watching, rather than having the voices of my interviewees.

When showing my documentary to other people, the feedback that I gathered was that although it was short they understood the message being sent. However, they felt like maybe that I could’ve filmed some establishing shots (of shops, or people working for example) just to break it up a little more, and make it more visually stimulating. I do agree with the feedback given, I do believe that my initial intentions of wanting a clear informative message about youth unemployment to be heard, was heard. However, once I finished the whole documentary and watched it a few times I can understand why there was a need for other footage to be within it, as it came across as maybe too informative. However, due to its length I think that it isn’t too bland – if it was 10 minutes of pure interviews then I think the message would have been lost.

Overall, I am happy with my outcome as it conveyed the problems of youth unemployment and other information. Along with that I feel like it was kept to a quite professional standard, the filming isn’t shaky or has bad framing for example. However, if I had more time to improve my documentary I would have definitely taken on board my feedback that I now have gathered, and filmed some more establishing shots to make my documentary more aesthetically pleasing. However, with the time and facilities I was given, for my first documentary I am pleased with the finished project.



No comments:

Post a Comment