Tuesday 8 March 2016

Workshop: Adding Music - David


My Own Music: 

Our task was to create our own music to play over a scene from any film of our choice; I chose to use a clip from the film The Babadook, which is a horror film. Not only do I really like this film, but due to the genre I felt like it would be more realistic for me to attempt to make music for a horror film. This is because horror films have very conventional music, that doesn't have to be too intricate to be effective like an action film may have to be.

The scene I used is when the Babadook is first introduced, which is a tense and important part of the film, therefore the music had to support this. Firstly, when creating my own music for this scene, I used a programme called Garage Band as it allows me to use preexisting instruments to create music. I stuck to using orchestral instruments, such as strings, as they don't require a lot of talent/skill to use, as well as the fact that they fit the mood very well. I kept my music relatively simple, I had three layers of different sounds that included strings, a synthesiser, and another synthesiser. I simply help down different notes continuously for the main suspenseful part of the scene, and slowly added more notes to not only add to the dynamics but it created a far more tense mood.

Additionally, I used the same clip and added preexisting music made by someone else and added that over the top. This music was far more complex, due to the persons experience and knowledge of creating music. However, personally I still think that my own music was more effective due to the fact that I made it specifically for the scene, compared to the preexisting music was made for anything. This meant that the preexisting music didn't necessarily sync up as well to parts of the scene as mine did. 

Preexisting Music: 

No comments:

Post a Comment